Tuesday 17 November 2015

SNAP Math Fair

In my elementary school, I remember there being a science fair that would happen every year, and each year I would get excited about it - thinking about fun ideas of what I could do. But since the fair was always done outside of class time, I would always end up being busy with extracurriculars, like dance and theatre, as well as regular homework. I love the idea that the work for the SNAP Math Fair is done entirely in class and that everyone participates.
I also love that it isn't competitive. I was very intimidated by math contests as a kid and an adolescent, so I never participated, despite being a fairly strong math student. I think the Math Fair creates an alternate challenging opportunity for students, where, instead of everyone receiving the same questions and ranking themselves against their peers' scores, students work on different puzzling problems, and can teach each other. 
I would love to implement a SNAP Math Fair in my practicum high school, but I've already heard from my SAs how densely packed the curriculum content is. I am worried that I won't be able to afford the time required for students to work on their projects during class time. I will do my best to make it happen though, because I think it would be really rewarding for the students! 

1 comment:

  1. I think it is quite possible to find time to do this, despite the busy curriculum! (Too bad you didn't end up doing math contests in high school -- I think you would have had fun with them.) Good work.

    ReplyDelete